This week, Regional Program Director Shauntrice Martin weighs in with her thank you message to EPAPA!
First, a huge Thank you to all the EPAPA staff for their support of the debate team this season. Congratulations especially to coaches Jessica and Hanna for their hard work and determination over the last two years. This season, EPAPA's debate team had 16 students represented in at least one tournament. The team is only 4 new debaters away from reaching its team goal of 20 debaters for the season, with several months left in the season!
Here are some highlights from the EPAPA debate team:
- Juniors Blanca Valencia and Kierra Jackson qualified for the National Urban Debate League Championship in Chicago!
- In last month's Richard T. Young Speech competition, EPAPA claimed the top three speech awards along with a little bit of scholarship money: Blanca Valencia placed FIRST, SECOND place went to Nyisha Young, and THIRD went to Kierra Jackson.
- Blanca Valencia will advance to the next level on March 21, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. (Marriott Courtyard 4320 El Camino Real Los Altos, CA)
- The Cesar Chavez Regional Debate Tournament will be held on Thursday March 30th at Kirkland & Ellis Law Firm. Four EPAPA students will be chosen to compete against the other students in the region. We are targeting seniors for this opportunity since the winner will be offered a paid summer internship.
- Nyisha Young, Esmerelda Cordova, and Santiago Pacheco have been chosen to represent the Silicon Valley Urban Debate League at our annual Moot Court event sponsored by HPE on May 1st (save the date!)
- Kierra Jackson was featured in a San Jose Inside article about debate
We are all excited about how much the team has grown. We have a few higher profile opportunities coming up soon and Shauntrice is working closely with students and coaches to make sure the team grows even stronger. EPAPA is a shining example of how quickly a debate program can achieve solid stability to spur student success.